Disasters always come in the least expected time. Preparing yourself to face a disaster instead of fully relying on the government assistance is a good way to reduce the adverse effects of the disaster. This article will elaborate some tips to create an emergency plan to protect yourself from disaster.
You can read the tips on the following list below:
• Understanding the communities’ risks: a lot of area in the country are susceptible to several hazards. Texas is vulnerable to earthquakes, winter weather, wildland fires, tornados, hurricanes, and flooding. Make sure to determine the hazards that may happen near your residence, both manmade and natural to create a good emergency plan. You can contact the nearest department of emergency management to help you managing your emergency plan.
• Keeping yourself informed: before, during, and after any disaster happen, make sure to stay alert for other hazards. Warning and alert systems, TV broadcasts, emergency radio, and special sirens are good source of information about possible hazards during and after disaster. You need to ensure the all family members are aware about possible different information during emergency situations.
• Unique needs: each family has different needs. The emergency plan you create should represent the individual need. You can consider several items such as medical care, religious and cultural considerations, language, or dietary restrictions.
• Functional and access needs: if any of your family members has a functional or access need, extra preparations are probably needed. You need to ensure that the emergency kits for supply include the specialty items, including medical prescriptions and equipment. Electrical power loss is common during a disaster. You need to make sure you have plans for technology and equipment. Keep a good relationship with colleagues, neighbors, or friends that you are able to reach out for assistance if needed.
• Vulnerable groups: you may have young children, senior citizens, and pets. When disaster happen, of course you want them to be all safe. So, make sure to include them in your emergency plan. These vulnerable groups usually have special needs, such as dietary requirements and medical prescription or equipment.
Those are several things you need to consider before making emergency plan. Even though there are already public safety department in each area of the country, if the people do not actively participate and prepare themselves, handling emergency situations can be very tough for both parties. So, what are you waiting for? Prepare your emergency plan as soon as possible!